Monday, February 21, 2005

Monday Is For Laundry & Red Beans

Grab you a big bag of Camellia Red Beans, some Zatarain's rice and some green onion sausage from Manda. It's Monday and that means, laundry, no haircuts and red beans with rice for dinner.

As a personal preference, I do not soak my beans over night. Instead, I put the beans in the pot with about an inch of water to cover, then put them on the stove until they come to a boil. I leave at a boil for about 20 minutes then drain the beans and add them back to the pot along with:

1 cap-full of cider vinegar, two cups of water, half a cup of good red wine and a can of chicken or beef broth. I slice about two inches of sausage to throw in for seasoning, a tablespoon of salt, half a tablespoon of pepper, a handful of seasoning mix(chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery) then I put the flame to about six on the stove dial. I put the lid on the pot and stir occasionally for the next hour or so until the beans become soft. When the beans are tender but not mushy, I turn the flame down and add the rest of the sliced sausage. It is all done when the beans are completely tender and the gravy has thickened nicely.

I've posted this recipe from one of may favorite P.B.S. cooks for more accurate measurements. Please try and enjoy!
Lucy's Red Beans & Rice

3 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I was hungry before I read your post, now I am really hungry! I need to try that reciepe.
Blue

11:05 AM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

Let me know how it turns out okay?

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Nola Web said...

Mondays were meant for RED BEANS

You know it drives me crazy when resturaunts don't have red beans and rice on Mondays.

Where do they think they are Duluth?

No offense to red beans cookers or eaters from Duluth.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home