Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Flaws And All

I spent most of the day working from the couch still recovering from the last remaining bits of the croup. By the time school was out I was feeling dizzy from eyestrain and oxygen deprevation, so I made the executive decision to get us all out for a ride.

We stopped by CC's for snacks for the kiddos and a couple of caffiene rechargers for Ma and Pa. We then drove up Magazine toward the French Quarter while chatting about the kind of things that six year olds chat about after a full day of school. By the time we reached the Marigny, talk from the backseat had turned into soft snores.

Say what I may about the state of things, I would still not wish to live away from here. At least not farther than I already have to. We live less than a mile out of Orleans Parish just to send our kids to a decent school that doesn't cost us six thousand dollars or more a year. It shouldn't have to be that way. If other places that aren't nearly as cool as NOLA can do it, I don't see why a decent public education can't happen here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous YatPundit said...

I gotta agree with you on CC's, i'm a total CC's junkie. The coffee, the cinnamon rolls, and wireless internet access for free, what a combination!

We also moved out of the city for that very reason--kids' schools. of course, now my teen is a junior at brother martin, so when the fifth grader hits eighth grade and goes to brother martin, we can move back...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I think that Plitics plays too big of a part in lA education.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A handful of New Orleans public schools are OK but geography restrictions are not always kind. Of course, everyone would like to send their kids to Ben Franklin. There needs to be more of those in New Orleans. This problem will never be addressed while everyone is staking out and protecting their turf.

Rob
CrabAppleLane

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home