Sunday, June 19, 2005

A Bittersweet Symphony

Life is an interesting dance with many steps and tends to end mid-song. Such is the case with the much too early passing of my youngest aunt yesterday. It was sudden and unexpected - we are all still in shock. She suffered multiple brain anyuerisms and there was nothing the doctors could do. She will be greatly missed.

The small town in Georgia where she and half of my bloodline reside will surely turn her out style. It's the Irish in us. Our funerals and wakes are superb. The tears are short and only allowed at the graveyard. Then it will be home to my Nana's (rest in peace Ruby 2002) for more food and drink than a Kermit Ruffins BBQ. Pictures and stories will be passed around and it will look more like a family reunion than a mourning event.

I will not be attending the funeral for personal reasons that they are all aware of and understand. I'm very face first about death. It's something I've dealt with since an early age. What I've learned from it all especially with the last two passing is to grab life by the short hairs and squeeze it dry. You have to dance the dance while you're here without concern for an unproven after. That motto and a morbid sense of humor really helps ease the pulsing pain from the hole left in my heart by such a sensless loss as this.

Continuously questioning why the hell this happened now isn't going to help anything or anyone. Having two youngins to look after (thankfully) leaves no time for long term sorrow either. I'll just churn the feelings and manic energy into being productive.
So, with eyes still moist I am throwing myself into my work for the next few weeks. I know her well enough to know that she'd appreciate that.

Ending on a happier note:

This has been a very nice Father's Day for us and I hope all the good papas out there are living it up. We swam ourselves to exaustion at my father-in-laws today and ate crawfish (local of course) with pasta and Chocolate cake and champagne for dessert. Now, we're snug at home belly laughing to the Simpsons. Life really does go on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I am sorry about your loss.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

Thank you, Blue.

10:03 AM  
Blogger drjpcoleman said...

I'm sorry about your aunt. It is always tough to deal with the death of family.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

It is. I appreciate your sentiments. Thank you!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home