Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hurricane Forecasts & Kimono Prints

Everyone but me woke up sick this morning. Lovely. A house full of sniffly, cranky, and moaning loved ones is just the thing I need to fill those pesky gaps in my schedule. Snark! Seriously, I feel bad for the poor things. I'm also very grateful that it's nothing more than a summertime bug. We've had enough real drama around here for awhile. I'm not going to sweat about the small stuff.

*(Positive outlook is brought to you via large amounts of French Market coffee)

Speaking of drama, HURRICANE SEASON has started. I've lived in coastal areas most of my life so, it's pretty second nature for me to have a hard shell of calm practicality about destructive weather. Inside of course, I'm always shaking like a wet puppy. All I or anyone else can really do is be prepared and put it out of mind until the need for action arrives.

At this time of year our household gets ready with the following:

1) Hurricane Kit - batteries, flashlights, camper t.v, wind-up radio, water and easy prep food, first aid kit and animal provisions-I put all of this in a box on an easy but out of the way shelf.

2) Enough lumber to cover windows early in the season and store in garage - bought ahead of time to beat the crazy rush and price gougings of years past

3) Make sure cat carrier is assembled, cat leash w/ harness-bowls-food

4) Dogs collared, leash and harnesses ready-bowls-food

5) Pre-packed overnight bag w/ change of clothes for everyone

6) Vehicle tuned up (our truck was in the shop last year and the loaner we were driving barely fit us so, we didn't evacuate. not cool.)

7) Important papers within reach and ready to go.

With all that in place we can pretty much relax and deal with it as it comes. Now, back to our regularly scheduled Summer.

Other than playing mama-nurse my day involves working on a new art series that I've been putting together for a couple of weeks. Big thanks to Blue for this link because it helped me put my final idea into place. You're right, Rob it is like a network!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Wow you are ready for hurricane season! I have the blender to make hurricanes too!

;->

10:29 AM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

Don't forget the rum and orange slices for garnish! ;-)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Hey thanks for reminding me!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home