Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Chicken Pox & The Four Legged Distraction

After two days off for the Georgia "energy saving snow day plan" my eldest was very happy to get back to class this morning. School and its constant routine has been her anchor these past few weeks. Any change in that really throws her off track. It felt so good to walk her to class today and see her feeling so normal and relaxed. Just that helps my own mental state (which is shaky at best) tremendously. It's the little pieces of normal that I cling to most.

In the "good timing" department - my youngest came down with a light case of chicken pox yesterday! She had the vaccine as a baby which makes for a much easier time if the virus is caught, even if it may not prevent it entirely. Her sister went through the same thing at this age. Since she's got her daddy's near super-human immune system the little boo hardly knows anything is amiss. The little sprite running around and causing havoc as is the norm. It's the quarantine from others that's getting to her more than anything. (No park for the rest of the week.) I feel very lucky that it isn't something worse.

Tommorow evening my guy and I have to leave my mamma with the kids for the weekend. We are headed to our house in Old Jefferson. Our neighborhood and house fared well but I am still in total knots over going. It will be hard all around and there's no getting away from it. We need to retrieve what we can of our furnishings.

I don't think we'll be going anywhere near Orleans Parish and for that I am somehow glad. I'm just not prepared to handle seeing in person what I have viewed though the news, personal photography of others and the satellite maps. I've just gotten myself down to crying only once in awhile and now it's threatening to spill over every time I even think of what happened. It's awful and I just want to wake from the dream which has become reality.

In the "what next" file:

This past sunday we ended up taking in a very sweet young dog that was found hiding under our porch. She had a crusted ring of blood and raw skin around her neck where some jerk had kept her tied up to who knows what. With a bath, some vittles and a lot of affection she's coming along nicely. I'm not going to ponder too long on what kind of lead heart makes someone treat an animal with such cruelty. She got herself to safe harbour and that's what counts. She will either blend in with my three mutts or go to a home that treats her like a princess. Being her caretaker these past few days has given me something to focus on other than my own circumstances. Her name at this moment is of course - Stella. Good dog.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vee said...

Please be careful on your trip "home" and I pray that you are able to retrieve everything. As you know I am heading home as well and pray that my home is in the same shape my husband left it when he was allowed back to check on it (looters?).

My dad turned our main braker back on in preparation of our return home. He wanted to get the AC going for us and guess what? The AC won't come on! It was working fine when we evacuated. Grrrr.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

You too Vee! I got your the info so look for something in the mail late next week. Good luck with your place I hope it isn't as bad as you fear. Take care of yourself!!!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Loki said...

Hey Harmony, Loki from Humid City here, just wanted to say I'm glad you made it out okay.

Somme good news, our apt (around the corner from your own at the corner of Napoleon and Prytania) is untouched. Our crazy ass landlord is still there! He never left. In his ranging around he said the area around your house is, like ours, relatively untouched. I had sent him in that direction because my uncle Frank lives between St. C and Prytania on Harmony as well. You have ahuge chance of being unscathed in that regard.

We are in NY with all 5 cats, no mean feat without an auto, and are looking forward to being part of the rebuild. I sympathize with your anger. I have flat out lost it once or twice and if it wasn't for my magnificent fiancee it could have been ugly. I suggest activism. We will need lots of energy to rebuild the city, and a lot more to hold those who bungled the aftermath accountable. I won't rant here, its not the place. (Go to http://humidcity.blogspot.com for rants and resources )

Contact me through the site if you need anything, our resources are slim but I am always up for a chat with someone from home. Be well, be safe, and when we get home let's meet for coffee or a drink.

Re-New Orleans!
-Loki

9:24 AM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

Hi Loki! I am so glad you guys are going to be able to go back and that your place will be livable. I appreciate the good report on that area. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you guys in NY right now. If you send me your mailing address I'd like to send you a care package later in the week. You, your girl and the cats really deserve some love right now.

I should clarify where we lived: Our house is in Old Jefferson near Ocshner. The name of my blog comes from a story too long to tell here. (When I started HSC I thought it fit my writing style well. I don't blog annonymously but I like the down low aspect of having the nom de plum. It keeps my writing here free and seperate from what I do in real life. See: Creative Display on my blog roll for that info.) We originally chose to live a mile outside of Orleans Parish in order to send our daughters to a decent school that we didn't have to go broke for. (Without having to be stuck in suburbia.) Our lives however - totally revolved around New Orleans. Our children were immersed in it's culture and taght to love the creative bounty around them. Our social and business connections were completely tied to the city where my guy grew up and, where I chose to adopt as mine twelve years ago. It is very hard for us to leave all that behind and start over.

While I haven't entirely given up living there again - we just don't see how it will be possible for us for at least a few years. Our decsion to relocate here to Georgia (where I have family) is soley based on what is best for our daughters. They deserve nothing less and it is our responsibility to provide them both with that. Still, I long for what was. I'm grateful for those such as yourself that will be faced with the hard task of rebuilding NOLA. You have my full support and anything I can do from here to help you with that just let me know.

As for my personal role in activism - there aren't enough sharp sticks for the heads I wish to see roll. I may not always agree with your politics but you express your feelings with a sense of logic and reason that I respect. I believe the direction that you have taken with Humid City will help a lot of people come together and great things will come out of it.

FEMA owes you the promised money. Turning you or anyone else down is b.s. - fight them for it and get what has been rightly promised to you! We got our funds but had to hound them for it. The shoddy experience did not leave much love in my heart for such a fubar system. Changes need to be made and it will be those like you and your staff of volunteers that will help make that happen.

You two take care of each other and don't let all of this come between such an awesome love that you have found. It will get you through this hell and give you the much needed strength for the hard road ahead. BIG HUGS to you both!

5:12 PM  
Blogger 10 325 directory said...

I think this topic is very different and should be more pages like this,Your
comment says a lot of truth, it's very actually, and I'd like to invited you
to visit my page:10/325-
Vicoprofen - Lortab- Tylenol
#3
- Ativan
All Major Medications are available right here at: http://www.crdrx.com

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home