Friday, September 16, 2005

Realization Friday

I fully believe that most areas smacked down by Hurricane Katrina will be rebuilt with the chance to be better than ever. My very first priority, however, is to the two most important people in my life - my daughters. Their childhood won't wait for the hazmat cleanup, the razing, rebuilding, repair, upcoming ecconomic downfall and general local government/educational system that is sure to take more than a few years to put back together. Until that happens they both will require a safe and stable environment in which to grow. How my guy and I feel about leaving our whole life behind and starting over isn't really on the table in this situation. We plan to take it in two year spurts and see how it goes. If things back in Louisiana get better sooner than we expect we will re-evaluate our decision.

We were fortunate enough that my guy's family business was not lost. He'll be commuting back and forth. His company has been loaning out the use of trucks and other equiptment to the clean up effort. It gives me some comfort to know that there is still a solid link between us and there. Living there full time just isn't possible but we will not abandon where our hearts met and made a home. I have a lot of respect for those so willing to go back right now. It's the how that I can't figure out but we yat/cajun/uptown/fq/bywater souls are a hearty bunch. If there's a way it will be done. How could it not?

On the brightest of sides - I really like St. Mary's and the surrounding areas. It has grown tremendously since I was a kid/teen spending part of my summers here. Back then there was literally nothing for the youth (much less other kids to play with) to do. There are a lot more options now and it has been a pleasure to see my own kids enjoying that benefit. Still, I will not let them forget where they came from and we will not drop our unique NOLA inspired traditions. Red beans on monday, music, our own way of laughing in the face of tradgedy and dancing until the end.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Just cook a Gumbo and be happy!

;-)

easier said than done eh?

3:21 PM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

It's all in the roux;)

"They had a hi-fi phono, boy, did they let it blast
Seven hundred little records, all rock, rhythm and jazz
But when the sun went down, the rapid tempo of the music fell
"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show younever can tell..."

6:30 PM  
Anonymous sporkfoo said...

Life goes on, Harmony.

And remember, when you do come home, even for just a visit, we'll be here to welcome you back.

8:14 AM  
Blogger alberthaanstra said...

Hi Blogger! Ik ben op zoek naar kredieten Zou Afab echt zo goed zijn als iedereen beweert? Of kan ik beter zoiets als Geldshop proberen?

Groetjes Albert

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home