Monday, October 24, 2005

Monday's Wash

We're sitting here watching Hurricane Wilma toss Florida while catching up on our daily dose of H. Katrina's aftermath. It feel like all hurricanes all the time these days. I'm over it. Hey - Mamma Nature, enough already. Eh cher?

The sky over our heads is gray and drizzly with an actual chill in the air. The weather is just so wierd lately. Saturday we went to the fall carnival at my eldest's school and it was hot and bright. By sunday the sky had filled with rain. This morning it had cooled of enough for me to need to put a jacket on my daughter before sending her out the door! It's almost starting to feel like Halloween. Too many tricks but not enough treats though.

I've been crocheting a lot lately. (One hat, and four scarves in two days) Working with yarn at times of stress is like a cheap form of xanax for me. I like the control that a skeen of yarn gives me. From rolling it into neat rounds to deciding what I want to create just makes me obscenely happy. I mostly make scarves, hats or blankies and I can usually work on a project while watching t.v. or the kids play at the park. I love any hobby that lets me multi-task.

Since my headcoldslashplauge is finally clearing I can think straight again. I'm grateful for having a guy who knows how and when to pick up the slack. He kept it all together last week while I mostly when into cold medecine induced comas and slept. He's a real trooper and never grumbled once. Even when told numerous times - "That's not how Mamma does it!" Good man.

Still, there's a lot to catch up on. I don't mind one bit. It's the most basic of domesticity that makes me feel good these days. There is so much control and hope to be found in the most mundane of routines. I have had enough adventure for awhile.

Cleaning to do, care packages to pack, calls to make and beans to cook...

2 Comments:

Blogger Vee said...

I have crochet envy. I've always wanted to learn how to crochet. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was little but apparently her patience ran out with me because I can't remember learning very much. I kept the crochet needle and yarn she gave me for our lessons for years in the hopes that I would actually be skilled enough to use them one day, but it was never meant to be.

Thanks again for our care package, my son ate all the gummy spiders you sent and he LOVED them. He wants me to find them for his Halloween party at school next week.

A cold front came through last night and it was downright chilly this morning. It's supposed to stick around all week. I can't wait to get home, make a cup of coffee and sit on the porch watching the sun go down.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Harmony St. Charles said...

LOL! Don't envy too hard... The three basic stitches that I've managed to teach myself (both gramma's tried and lost their patience with me as well) probably wind up looking no better than what comes out of a Girl Scout camp. I think it's really cool that you kept your grandma's needle. It may yet come in use to you.

The care package was my pleasure. People have done it for us and now it's my turn to do so for others. I'm glad Cody like the spiders - boys are so much fun to shop for!

BTW: I forgot to label it but, the coffee I sent is called - Mexican Mayhem from Killer Beans. It's one of my faves and I hope you like it too. :)

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home